Financial Literacy, Education and Impact
The biggest challenge for successful enterprising families is not in growing or preserving their wealth, but in integrating it productively into the fabric of the family and managing any conflict over it.
By seeking common purpose and balancing the sometimes competing interests among their different branches, a family becomes better able to use their wealth to enhance their lives and create a positive impact for their greater community.
Integrating wealth successfully requires managing the systemic conflicts that are inherent in enterprising families. It also necessitates keeping the underlying business interests adaptable to change so that they maintain alignment with the purpose and values of the evolving family.
Since corporate and personal finances naturally intertwine, comprehensive wealth planning is crucial for long term success. Rigorous analysis that anticipates and adjusts for opportunities, as well as future pitfalls, can align personal ambitions to protect family relations.
Continuity helps family stakeholders explore and work through the myriad of questions involved in the choices and decisions they need to make regarding their wealth. These include:
- What is the purpose of our family’s wealth?
- What shared values guide our family in the pursuit of our vision for the future?
- What decision-making frameworks are appropriate for our family?
- How will our family manage potential conflict arising from sibling and branch wealth disparity?
- How do we educate our rising generation about our family wealth?
- How do we ensure that our succeeding generations avoid lives of entitlement?
- Should we consider opening, or joining, a family office?
Educating succeeding generations about wealth is core to our work with families. We help individual family members and family groups gain clarity about the responsibilities, as well as the benefits, that derive from wealth.
We do not offer asset management services, do not sell insurance, are not estate planners and do not provide investment advice. Continuity is comprised of unbiased, conflict-free experts who can guide families in the selection and management of their trusted advisor team who offer this support.
Read more on Succession Planning: Preparing the Next Generation.